There are no words that can describe yesterday’s tragedy in Devonport. Like you, I’m totally devastated and together, our hearts break for the families who are experiencing the indescribable pain of loss.
It’s at times like this, Jesus is our comfort and supernaturally allows us to be comfort for those who so need it.
‘Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God’ (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).
As a movement, we are doing all that we can to gather around and support those in both the community of Devonport and further afield. Both ACC Tasmania and our local contact for Chaplaincy Australia have reached out and are actively involved with the people on the coal face.
Join with me as we pray for the families, the Devonport community, the school community, the teachers, the first responders and the medical practitioners.
Let’s uphold in prayer;
- Children who are still in a serious and critical condition and for the amazing medical workers who are currently caring and making decisions for them.
- The immediate and extended families of those children who have died and been injured.
- All the school students, many of whom will be traumatised as a result of the tragedy.
- First responders; Police and emergency services who will be traumatised and deeply impacted.
- Chaplains who are right now being the hands feet and heart of Jesus around the school community and hospitals as well as the Devonport community, Particularly Andrew Hillier (Devonport Chaplaincy), and Gus Yearsley (Chaplaincy Australia).
- Pastors and church leaders in Devonport and across the State
- The Principal and Vice Principal and all the staff at Hillcrest Primary School.
- The Minster for Education, Sarah Courtney and the entire Education Department.
We will update you on how we can continue to pray and other practical ways you can assist as the situation unfolds.
May the peace of our incredible God be close to you and your loved ones today.
Ps Dave & Alix Morse